Skip to main content

The Nomenclature of Noir


-a review of Kate Pilarcik's The Damp Fedora


"Reading The Damp Fedora" copyright 2016 Kristin Fouquet


Noir fiction evolved from the hard-boiled and crime genre fiction with origins in the 1920s, particularly the stories from Black Mask magazine. Dashiell Hammett created the suave, clever Sam Spade and the ever-charming Nick and Nora Charles. Raymond Chandler conceived tough guy, detective Philip Marlowe. In The Damp Fedora, Kate Pilarcik introduces Nelle Callahan: “Hello there. Cop a seat. Sit a spell. They call me Nelle. Nelle Callahan. I’m a private eye with a penchant for winking trouble’s way. I can load a Luger or lead on a loser without looking over my shoulder, come the end of a coffee and doughnut day. That’s how they come to you. When you least expect it. But you knew that. You’re no flimflam or chump. You’re jake.”

Nelle’s first person account eases into third person for the remainder of the “noirvella,” but her lingo, her cracking wise, never lets up throughout the case. She manages to garner respect with her wits and moxie without having to sacrifice her sex appeal and femininity. In one scene, the bountiful banter between Nelle and her debonair, damp fedora-wearing new client is reminiscent of the sexy and smart verbal exchange between characters Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell portrayed in the movie, “His Girl Friday.” The choice of the word “scene” was no accident as Pilarcik’s novella would effortlessly translate into a film. The story weaves fictional intrigue with events and supporting characters of historical accuracy all to a 1940s soundtrack.

In the end, it may seem Nelle leaves you too soon, but hold onto your hat because she’ll be back. Oh, she’ll be back and until then, her jaunty words will keep you company. You’ll see.


-Kristin Fouquet
October 2, 2016

Get your copy here or here.


Comments

  1. Honoured, humbled, joyed within the Nelle within me is this happy suspense author . . . for in simple lingo -- "You get it, Ms Fouquet, you get it. You really get it."

    No coincidence my 1940's radio is now playing, "You go to my head like the bubbles in a glass of champagne" -- in this case, add heart, for truly you have revealed, heart of storyline, heart of era, heart of Nelle.

    And both us dames think you're so swanky swell!
    Grace of our thanks,

    ~ Kate Pilarcik and Nelle Callahan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my extreme pleasure, dearest Kate and Nelle! Looking forward to the next one with keen anticipation!

      Loved hearing both your voices on Pam Stack's Authors on the Air! What a delight!

      Wishing you all the success you can stand!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Perpetual Poetry: Words Inspiring Words, a review

"Reading Karen Lillis" copyright 2014 Kristin Fouquet Perpetual Poetry: Words Inspiring Words a review of The Paul Simon Project by Karen Lillis I have a confession to make. I am not a poet.  I write fiction and I believe writing poetry is a completely different process.  I love reading good poetry, but I am in no way a poetry scholar.  These are the reasons I usually do not review poetry chapbooks.  The Paul Simon Project by Karen Lillis is only my second exception to this rule. Influenced by Simon’s words and music on the album Still Crazy After All These Years ,  Lillis duplicates the song titles for her poems in this collection. Some follow a similar  path as the subject of the song; others venture in their own direction. The album’s title song inspires a poem which mimics the melancholy and  sentimentality of the original. Yet, she pumps it up with a contemporary  edginess and gender reversal. In “My Little Town,” Simon sings,

You Were Perfectly Fine by Dorothy Parker

"Martini" kristin fouquet This is my favorite hangover story. A raise of the glass to the inimitable Dorothy Parker. You Were Perfectly Fine by Dorothy Parker The pale young man eased himself carefully into the low chair, and rolled his head to the side, so that the cool chintz comforted his cheek and temple. “Oh, dear,” he said.”Oh, dear, oh, dear, oh, dear. Oh.” The clear-eyed girl, sitting light and erect on the couch, smiled brightly at him. “Not feeling so well today?” she said. “Oh, I’m great,” he said.”Corking, I am. Know what time I got up? Four o’clock this afternoon, sharp. I kept trying to make it, and every time I took my head off the pillow, it would roll under the bed. This isn’t my head I’ve got on now. I think this is something that used to belong to Walt Whitman. Oh, dear, oh, dear, oh, dear.” “Do you think maybe a drink would make you feel better?” she said. “The hair of the mastiff that bit me?” he said.”Oh, no,

Photographs in Exist Otherwise, Issue #6

  “Masks are made of different kinds of material: cardboard, velvet, flesh, the Word. The carnal mask and the verbal mask are worn in all seasons. “                                               - Claude Cahun Happy Bastille Day! It was on another French Holiday, Mardi Gras, in 2022, I used my old Kodak Brownie film camera to capture the festivities. I'm delighted to have three of those photographs, "Mardi Gras Birdman," Mardi Gras Flock," and "Mardi Gras Toast" published in Exist Otherwise, Issue #6 with the theme of Masks.  Many Thanks to editor, cc bovarysme!