Skip to main content

An Obituary for Mr. So

Fouquet, Mr. So

Minnesota Spats, a.k.a. Mr. So, a tuxedo cat with emerald-hued eyes, aged nineteen, left this world peacefully on December 7, 2015, in New Orleans.

Mr. So was born in New Orleans in early August 1996. Errol Fouquet and Kristin Mott, of New Orleans, adopted Mr. So, along with a blue-eyed Tabanese female cat, Mata Hari, on September 5, 1996.

While technically an indoor cat, Mr. So was permitted a nomadic existence, which sometimes afforded some outdoor time on balconies and screened-in porches. Over the years, he dwelled in five apartments and six houses. Like many inhabitants of the Gulf region, Mr. So tolerated hurricane evacuations in several cities and in many hotels. He was in exile in North Carolina for one year and nine months following Hurricane Katrina and the resulting levee breaches, which flooded his home. 

Akin to most native New Orleanians, Mr. So savored seafood gumbo and spicy crawfish with gusto. When the occasion allowed, he enjoyed lobster and caviar. His music preferences veered toward jazz, especially female vocalists. He hosted countless intimate soirées, known simply as So Nights, and welcomed guests like the Frights of North Carolina for Mardi Gras.

Although he sidestepped fatherhood, Mr. So assured his immortality by inspiring others to write about him in short story and song. Always the charismatic and dapper character, he even had a cocktail named after him: Mr. So’s Cocoa. His spirit continues to prompt creativity.

Mata Hari preceded him in death in 2003. Mr. So is survived by his family: Errol, Kristin, Zoe, and Jean Fouquet, and his feline sister, Stella M. Fouquet.

Special thanks goes out to friends, Chris Sauer, Christine Ciarmello, and James Thiebaud, for consorting with Mr. So when the family was away on vacations. 

There Will Never Be Another You:


Popular posts from this blog

You Were Perfectly Fine by Dorothy Parker

"Martini" kristin fouquet

This is my favorite hangover story. A raise of the glass to the inimitable Dorothy Parker.

You Were Perfectly Fine


Dorothy Parker

The pale young man eased himself carefully into the low chair, and rolled his head to the side, so that the cool chintz comforted his cheek and temple.“Oh, dear,” he said.”Oh, dear, oh, dear, oh, dear. Oh.”The clear-eyed girl, sitting light and erect on the couch, smiled brightly at him.“Not feeling so well today?” she said.“Oh, I’m great,” he said.”Corking, I am. Know what time I got up? Four o’clock this afternoon, sharp. I kept trying to make it, and every time I took my head off the pillow, it would roll under the bed. This isn’t my head I’ve got on now. I think this is something that used to belong to Walt Whitman. Oh, dear, oh, dear, oh, dear.”“Do you think maybe a drink would make you feel better?” she said.“The hair of the mastiff that bit me?” he said.”Oh, no, thank you. Please never speak of anything like…

Blink-Ink #23 Mystery Train receives grand reviews

Many congratulations to a little magazine with big content! I'm proud to say I've been involved since the inaugural issue. Even my "Edgar Allan Poe-boy" postcard, a lagniappe insert, gets a nod in these reviews:

Blink-Ink- Number 23 NewPages Lit Mag Review

New Magazine for 50-word Fiction Features Memorable Life Snapshots- from The Review Review

Perhaps, the first instance of a term I coined "literary drag." If you know of other cases, please let me know in the comments.
Long Live Blink/Ink!



Yukio Mishima


On the twenty-eighth of February, 1936 (on the third day, that is, of the February 26 Incident), Lieutenant Shinji Takeyama of the Konoe Transport Battalion—profoundly disturbed by the knowledge that his closest colleagues had been with the mutineers from the beginning, and indignant at the imminent prospect of Imperial troops attacking Imperial troops- took his officer’s sword and ceremonially disemboweled himself in the eight-mat room of his private residence in the sixth block of Aoba-cho, in Yotsuya Ward. His wife, Reiko, followed him, stabbing herself to death. The lieutenant’s farewell note consisted of one sentence: “Long live the Imperial Forces.” His wife’s, after apologies for her unfilial conduct in thus preceding her parents to the grave, concluded: “The day which, for a soldier’s wife, had to come, has come. . . .” The last moments of this heroic and dedicated couple were such as to make the gods themselves weep. The lieutenant’s age, it should be …