Skip to main content

Charactered Pieces: stories


"Reading Charactered Pieces"



This collection of stories is one of the best I’ve read in a long time. The short form has always been my preference. I admire when a writer can take us immediately in and then release us in short duration. When it works, it is exhilarating. Caleb J. Ross delivers this.


The stories in Charactered Pieces are dark, sometimes disturbing, and anxious. I found a theme of parental angst stream through many of them. It was enjoyable to spend some time in the mind of Caleb J. Ross, but in the end, it was more personal. I believe a story is successful when you discover something about yourself after reading it. I highly recommend this collection.


Find out more: Charactered Pieces: stories

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paintings by Dimitri Fouquet

"Rizzum & Blues" "Ravi Shankar" "Opium Dream" "Marie Laveau" "Baron Samedi" Dimitri Fouquet (1943-2002) New Orleans artist

Perpetual Poetry: Words Inspiring Words, a review

"Reading Karen Lillis" copyright 2014 Kristin Fouquet Perpetual Poetry: Words Inspiring Words a review of The Paul Simon Project by Karen Lillis I have a confession to make. I am not a poet.  I write fiction and I believe writing poetry is a completely different process.  I love reading good poetry, but I am in no way a poetry scholar.  These are the reasons I usually do not review poetry chapbooks.  The Paul Simon Project by Karen Lillis is only my second exception to this rule. Influenced by Simon’s words and music on the album Still Crazy After All These Years ,  Lillis duplicates the song titles for her poems in this collection. Some follow a similar  path as the subject of the song; others venture in their own direction. The album’s title song inspires a poem which mimics the melancholy and  sentimentality of the original. Yet, she pumps it up with a contemporary  edginess and gender reversal. In “M...

Dimitri Fouquet, New Orleans Artist

  On June 24, 1943, Dimitri Fouquet’s life began as Wayne Fouquet on a wooden kitchen table in Algiers Point on the West Bank of the murky Mississippi River. Across the river, Algiers shares the same thick humid air in which New Orleans Voodoo folklore was born through whispered stories about Baron Samedi, the original Dr. John, and Marie Laveau; two spirits Fouquet would capture in oil. “The Algiers Ferry” by Dimitri Fouquet “The Algiers Courthouse” by Dimitri Fouquet "Holy Name of Mary Church and Rectory" by Dimitri Fouquet He grew up in “The Point” with his cousin Ronnie Barosse, who would later be  known as Ronnie Baron, the well-known New Orleans pianist and singer.  According to Dimitri, the boys would strip down on the levee to swim in the  Mississippi River so their mothers wouldn’t catch them with wet clothes. As  wild teens, they would sneak into the church, Holy Name of Mary, and light  their cigarettes and joints off of the candles for the poor....