On June 24, 1943, Dimitri Fouquet’s life began as Wayne Fouquet on a wooden kitchen table in Algiers Point on the West Bank of the murky Mississippi River. Across the river, Algiers shares the same thick humid air in which New Orleans Voodoo folklore was born through whispered stories about Baron Samedi, the original Dr. John, and Marie Laveau; two spirits Fouquet would capture in oil. “The Algiers Ferry” by Dimitri Fouquet “The Algiers Courthouse” by Dimitri Fouquet "Holy Name of Mary Church and Rectory" by Dimitri Fouquet He grew up in “The Point” with his cousin Ronnie Barosse, who would later be known as Ronnie Baron, the well-known New Orleans pianist and singer. According to Dimitri, the boys would strip down on the levee to swim in the Mississippi River so their mothers wouldn’t catch them with wet clothes. As wild teens, they would sneak into the church, Holy Name of Mary, and light their cigarettes and joints off of the candles for the poor....
Hi Kristin,
ReplyDeleteI am a British documentary film-maker focusing on a series in relation to the history of vodoun or voodoo as it is known in the US. I was very taken by Dimitri Fouquet's work. I understand that he sadly died in 2002. Who should I ask for permissions in relation to usage in a documentary film and credit etc..
Best regards
John Miles
I can be emailed on equilibrium.films@virgin.net